FisheryProgress Social Responsibility Analyst
Contract Position: 25 hours per week (on average) - Sept. 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021
About FishChoice: At FishChoice, we believe that a thriving and sustainable seafood industry is possible. Located in Fort Collins, Colorado, FishChoice is a 501(c)(3) environmental non-profit that creates technology-based solutions to help commercial seafood buyers and suppliers easily wade through the vast amount of environmental data at their disposal, allowing them to make informed sustainable purchasing decisions. FishChoice partners with the leading environmental organizations in our field, and over six hundred seafood companies, to help determine the most sustainable seafood products on the market today.
To achieve our mission, we operate two major industry-facing websites:
FishChoice.com - Launched in 2009, the FishChoice platform is the industry-leading website and resource for seafood transparency, empowering businesses to analyze and promote their sustainability initiatives and products to staff, clients, and potential new customers.
FisheryProgress.org - Launched in 2016, FisheryProgress.org is the one-stop-shop for reliable information about fishery improvement project (FIP) progress. With over 95% of global FIPs reporting on our website, FisheryProgress makes verified FIP progress information accessible for hundreds of industry and NGO users, making sourcing from FIPs easy.
In 2019, FisheryProgress received an allegation of forced labor in a FIP listed on the website. Although FisheryProgress is recognized as the global platform for FIP progress tracking and has more than 90% of global FIPs actively using it as their vehicle for public reporting and accountability, to date, the website tracks only environmental performance information. These recent situations have made it very clear that if we want to meet our goals of being a true transparency platform for seafood buyers, leaving out social responsibility means leaving a significant gap in information. It is also abundantly clear that we have a critical role to play in calling attention to major social issues in fisheries and supporting workers and others in ensuring those claims are investigated and remediated. For these reasons, we have started the process of integrating social/human rights issues within FisheryProgress and are seeking to build our internal capacity to lead this work for the organization.
We seek candidates with a combination of relevant work experience and education who can successfully perform the responsibilities outlined below.
- Assist in revising the draft social responsibility policy to incorporate first round of feedback from FisheryProgress stakeholders (Fall 2020)
- Support the second round of stakeholder feedback gathering (Fall 2020)
- Assist in finalizing the policy (late 2020/early 2021)
- Lead the development of the social review guidelines (this is a detailed guidance document that accompanies the higher-level policy; see the environmental version here) (early 2021)
- Support the design and rollout of the new policy/guidelines, including conducting outreach to FIP leads, the NGO community and the seafood industry to build support and awareness of new social responsibility policy (early 2021)
- Support the FishChoice website development team in designing social data fields and content on FisheryProgress (late 2020/early 2021)
- Support FisheryProgress Program Director in handling any allegations of human rights abuses received (ongoing)
- A combination of relevant work experience and education to successfully perform the core responsibilities of the position
- Expertise in human rights and labor standards, social assessments and auditing
- FIP/fisheries knowledge or expertise is ideal but not required
- Experience leading/supporting stakeholder consultation processes
- Strategic, effective, diplomatic, and compelling outreach & communication skills
- Technical writing and ability to write clearly so it's understandable to lay audiences
- Proven experience collaborating with a wide range of professionals from all backgrounds
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a partially virtual team
- Comfort/experience working with web-based platforms
Valued Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Flexibility and an openness to evolving responsibilities
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and sense of humor
- Experience using Trello and/or other project management systems is a plus
- This is a 7-month contract with the opportunity to extend - September 2020-March 2021
- Preference for candidates based in the U.S., position may be remote (not necessarily based in Fort Collins, CO)
- Preference for multilingual candidates
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience
How to Apply:
Please email your resume, along with a one-page cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications to:
All files should be attached to your email as a PDF, or an MS Word doc.
*Please do not respond to this posting with solicitations for recruitment services